Saturday, June 7, 2008

Hillary Clinton

Today was an AMAZING day!!! My boss told me last week that Hillary would be in DC this saturday to make a speech, announcing the end of her campaign. She sent me the link to print a ticket, and i convinced Lizelle to go with me.. OMG it was absolutely the coolest thing i have ever been to! Definitely the highlight of my DC trip. I mean, i didnt get to meet her or anything, but being in the same room as her and Bill, watching her give a speech live, was an experience i will never forget. Lizelle is not a Democrat and she is not a big fan of Hillary, but she tagged along in support for me :) - Thanks again Lizelle-

So we leave the house at 9:15am.. and its already hot. We could tell that today was going to be a scorcher. We take the metro, and as we get off, we see the National Building Museum right in front of us. YESSS!! We thought we could just walk right on in...But NO! We didnt see the line on the other side going around the entire building, with thousands of people sweating and complaining about the heat. We walk and walk until we get to the back of the line. JOY. WOW it was incredibly hot. Thankfully, i found a map in my bag of DC which i was using as a fan. Didnt help much tho! I had done my hair all nice, fixed my makeup, and was wearing my black Hillary 08 Tshirt...ughhh, by the time we walked in, my makeup was gone, my hair was a mess, and my shirt was burning hot- *Note to Self: Do not wear black when it is 104 degrees outside*



So by the time we finally got inside, i had bought myself a new Hillary Tshirt for 5 bucks, and a Hillay pin for 2$ (trying to help her get out of her campaign debt lol) We walk in, and the bottom floor was reserved for "VIP," so we go up a level. The building was actually really pretty. It had a Roman architecture feel to it. And it had huge pillars and statues (NOT like the retarded statues in PA). We get to the second floor and its packed! :( We couldnt see anything and there was no room for us to stand. And i see that there are 2 other levels above us. But the only stairway up was blocked off by 2 secret service people. I went up to the woman and asked her if they would be opening it up to let people go upstairs, but she said she wasnt sure yet and would have to wait to get word from someone else...ughhhh. So me, lizelle, and a new friend (bryan) decided to wait by the stairway. JUST in case... And about an hour later, the secret service lady gives me a look to come over...and she tells me that they will "MAYBE" open the 3rd floor to the public soon...and she will let me know. So we wait...and sure enough, she signals to me to come over. And we RUN!!! "NO RUNNING LADIES," said the other security guard. But lol i didnt care. i was a woman on a mission! I dropped my DC map too, btw..while i was running. So there goes my fan... I was the first one up there and i got an incredible spot! Lizelle and Bryan soon followed, and we claimed our territory. YESSSS! We had a perfect view and the rally was starting soon.



It was really cool cuz right underneath me, on the first level, i could see John King from CNN reporting live from the event. And then people starting yelling b/c Terry McAuliffe came out. He used to be the DNC (democratic national convention) Chairman from 2001-05. And now he serves as the chairman for the Hillary Clinton for President committee. He seemed like such a nice guy! We were watching him shake hands, hug, kiss, and take pictures with tonssss of people in the audience. But ya, so i called my mom and woke her up. Told her to turn on CNN b/c Hillary was coming on soon...and a few minutes later, SHE WALKED IN!!!!! Everyone was screaming and cheering, including Lizelle who doesnt even like her. Bill, Chelsea, and Hillary's mom were with her. It was soooo cute seeing them all together. I was mesmorized. I couldnt keep my eyes off of her. And i was starting to get choked up from watching her officially suspending her campaign.

" Well, this isn't exactly the party I'd planned, but I sure like the company." I couldnt beleive i was there to witness this moment in history.





Look at all the people who came to support her! Some were waiting outside since dusk. And everyone had great things to say about her. I was completely starstuck seeing Bill, but so honored to be attending Hillary's event. I stood there, leaning against the railing, baffled. It finally hit me that Hillary was out. Its not that i dislike Obama, but i have been a Hillary supporter for YEARS now. And if Hillary is going to endorse him, then he has my vote too. I took soooo many pictures, but they dont do justice to where we were standing. I could see her perfectly. Her speech was elegant, professional, and inspiring...And it REALLY reenforced my desire to be a politician one day..Thank You, Hillary, for inspiring me to dream big in life :)

So her speech was finally over, and i didnt want to move. We stood there, watching her shake hands and take pictures with the supporters standing in the front. Her and Bill were so friendly and cordial to everyone. I loved it. I loved everything about being at this event. But we decided that we should maybe start to head out...And while walking downstairs, we noticed the bottom floor was open for anyone to enter. I didnt even think twice about stepping on to the floor. And OMG there was John King, from CNN, standing 5 feet away from me!!! I have seen him SOOO many times on CNN and i admire his political knowledge (For those of you who dont know him, he's the guy who has that reallllly cool map of the US on a big touchscreen that breaks down all the votes during every primary). So we decide to go stand behind him and wait for a commercial break.. we asked to take a picture but i guess he was a little busy playing with his blackberry and fixing his makeup..lol.. im not joking...but he finally was nice enough to turn around and let us take a photo with him :) YAYYY I was sooooo excited!!!

And then we saw Terry McAullife a few minutes later getting interviewed by John... I noticed that there was a small TV screen that i could see while i saw standing behind them, and i called my mom really quick to turn on CNN and watch for me...So Lizelle and I stood behind John and Terry and jumped up and down for the camera to see us! LOOOOOL!!! We felt like such losers but whatever!! BOTH OUR MOM'S SAW US ON CNN. How cool is that?! I'm still trying to find a video of the interview, but not having much luck..

So then Terry turned around and we asked if it would be ok to take a picture with him...He was SOOOO nice! He was smiling and shaking our hands. It was an honor photographing with this man. I really respect how nice he was b/c John King was a bit arrogant.




So all in all, this was one of the best days ever!!! I know ill be telling this story to my kids one day. And it is something that i will remember for the rest of my life :)

And whatever Hillary decides to do next, whether its Vice President or Senate Majority Leader, she has millions and millions of supporters who will back her up 110% !!!

LOVE YOU HILL!!! KEEP FIGHTING!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you got to attend this... i'm sure it was a rewarding experience for you! On the other hand.. I love Obama...sorry sara... lol... I totally know John King with his big map...I see him all the time on tv... no anderson cooper??? I dont know the leader of the democratic party though...

Make more posts!!!

Sara said...

L and i are on a mission to find Anderson Cooper while we are here. I MUST MEET HIM. AND PROPOSE. My mom likes him a lot so i think it'll be cool.. haha

btw, massoud waziri just called me and said he saw me on cnn today while he was in saturday school. LOL! he said HEY THATS MY COUSIN, but no one beleived him...thats tight tho huh?! people saw me

malak said...

wow you didnt faint when you say hillary, congrats!!!

Anonymous said...

lmao...massood waziri in saturday school... hahahaha funny kid!

Anonymous said...

boring...... lol
haha the one line that shocked me and mom was "I know ill be telling this story to my kids one day" hahahah kids???? kaka Jones?

Sara said...

NO do not get any ideas...maybe in like 10 years.

Hillary had a kid..so maybe i will too one day....in the far FUTURE haha

Sara said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cara said...

That is totally awesome. You are going to see soo many neat things while you are there during the campaign! Wish I saw you on CNN. You better find that footage!! I will vote for you when you become a politician!!!

Unknown said...

When Sara was about 12 years old, we had a kids to work day at my work and I took her to visit our company. During lunch our CEO was walking around with a mic and asking the kids what they wanted to be in the future. As usual, Sara jan raised her arm while I was trying to stop her. So the mic went to her and she said it loud and clear "I want to be the first woman president of the US". Wow, our CEo was really impressed and praised her while I was sweating and blushing. So the inspiration existed in her from early age, so we all hope she succeeds in the future.
Love you
Your dad

Sara said...

hii dad. i remember that day.. and i remember saying that to ur ceo at lunch haha...its still not too late. hillary almost beat me to it!

Anonymous said...

Boooooo! We Want A New Blog. da da dadada... We Want A New Blog. da da dadada!!! BOO!